Moving house and need to change your address?

Are you moving into a new home and can’t remember everyone you have to contact to change your address?

If you worry that the task of changing your address is too hard, don’t worry! Our handy checklist helps you keep track of who you have and haven’t told about your new address.

Your Change of Address Checklist


  • Employer

You must notify your employer that your current address has changed, so that they are able to update your contact details, but most importantly your payroll to avoid any complications

  • Inland Revenue

You MUST alert Inland Revenue that you have changed your address so they can ensure that your tax is correct. You can update your information on the .gov.uk website.

  • National Insurance

The DVLA, HMRC & your employer all regularly use your National Insurance (NI) number, so it is extremely important that you update your national insurance information. You can update this information online or via phone, full details can be found on the .gov website.

Local Authorities

  • Council Tax

Updating your council tax is vital. You can update your council tax online on the relevant gov.uk site. To find the relevant site, add the area to the beginning of the .gov.uk address to be taken to the relevant branch. For example, if you are moving to Manchester, search manchester.gov.uk.

  • Electoral Roll

When you move, instead of simply changing your address you will need to re-register on the Electoral Roll at your new address. This can be done on the gov.uk website.

  • Department of Work and Pensions

If you are currently receiving money from the government, then you must inform them about your change in circumstances. To do this, you will need to talk to the Department of Work and Pensions directly via telephone. For a full list of contact information, visit the gov.uk website here.


  • Health Club/Gym

If you are moving home and need to change gyms, you need to ensure you alert your current gym a while before you leave to avoid being pulled into a renewed contract you are unable to get out of. If you are moving to a similar area and do not need to change gyms, you still need to make sure your contact details are up to date with them.

  • Newspaper Subscriptions

If you have subscribed to receive a daily/monthly/annually newspaper delivered to your door, you need to make sure you let the supplier know of your change address to avoid you missing out on an issue.

  • Clubs & Societies

If you are part of a club or society, remember to update your contact details on their records. If you have moved out of the area, you must let them know that you will no longer be attending.

  • Order Subscriptions (DVD, Makeup, Etc)

Just as you would with your newspaper subscriptions, you must update your delivery details on any current subscriptions you are tied in to, to ensure all of your parcels are sent to the correct address.


  • Cable/Satellite

When it comes to your cable, for billing purposes you must update your contact information. It is also worth checking whether your new property will need a satellite dish or cable installed, as you will need to know this information before you update your contact details.

  • Phone

If you have a landline, you will need to inform your landline provider that your address will be changing so they can give you a new phone number for the area you are moving to. If your landline & broadband provider is the same company, these can usually be done at the same time. If you have a mobile phone, you will need to alert your contract provider so they can update your billing information. This can usually be done over the phone or you can pop into your local store and speak to an expert.

  • Broadband

In regards to your broadband, we would suggest you cancel your current broadband package and get a new one when you move home, as you can usually get a better deal at a new address. If you do not wish to get a new broadband package, you must still let your current provider know about the change address.

  • TV Licence

You’ve just moved into your brand new home, finally sat down to watch your favourite reality TV after a long day of unpacking boxes and realise you’re not covered at your new home? Don’t let this happen… changing your details is easy! Simply complete this form on the tvlicensing.co.uk website.


  • DVLA – Driving Licence

Your driver’s licence is one of the most important legal documents that will need to be updated as soon as possible. This can be done on the DVLA website for free and they will send you an updated licence within 2 – 4 weeks.

  • Vehicle Breakdown Cover

Your address can easily be changed on the website of the provider you are currently with. This is very important for providers who charge different rates based on your area. They also need to know the correct address for where to take you in the event of a breakdown. It is even more important if you have home start cover.

  • Car Insurance

You can change your information either online with your provider or over the phone. It is important for both your insurance payments and contact information in the event of an accident. Unfortunately, due to the area you are moving to, you may incur an additional charge to your cover.

  • V5C Vehicle Log Book

To ensure your vehicle is correctly taxed, you must remember to update your contact details to your new address, to avoid getting a fine of up to £1000. You can do this online at the gov.uk website.


  • Electricity

You must give a few days notice to change your contact information with your electricity provider as it can take up to 48 hours for your details to be updated on the system. Depending on the contact you are in, it may be cheaper for you to transfer your deal to your new property, rather than sign up for a new contract.

  • Gas

To save yourself from being charged for gas and electricity that you have not used, alert your provider of the date you are moving and take a meter reading on the day you leave your current property. By sending this to them, you can ensure you don’t pay any more for your previous property,

  • Water

Just like your gas and electricity, it will be beneficial for you to let your water provider know that you are moving and will not be using water beyond the date of your move.

  • Royal Mail – Redirect

If you don’t have time to contact EVERY company that you receive mail from as soon as you move home… don’t worry! With Royal Mails Redirect service, you can arrange for them to automatically forward any post addressed to your previous address to your new address with no hassle! This gives you time to get your house in order while you sort the rest of your post. Please note, Royal Mail’s redirect service is only temporary, so you can’t rely on it forever. You can set up a redirect with Royal Mail on their website Royalmail.com.


  • School
  • College
  • University
  • Apprenticeship

If you have any children in full/part time education or you are currently studying yourself, it is important to let the school/university know that you are going to be moving so they can update your details on the system. If you or any of your children are currently studying at University, they will also need to know your correct address so they can send over tuition fees.


  • Dentist
  • Doctor/Local GP
  • Optician
  • Vet

If you are moving to a different area, you may have to move to a different local GP. It is important to let your current and new GP know that you will be moving so they can prepare to send over your medical files. This is the same with the Dentist, Opticians and Vets. As well as letting your current doctors know you will no longer be staying at that practice, it is vital that you research the area you are moving to and register with new doctors a few weeks before you are intended to move. This way they can ensure they have everything on file ready for you if you ever need it.


  • Health Insurance
  • Contents Insurance
  • Life Insurance
  • Travel Insurance
  • Pet Insurance

When it comes to your insurance plan, most insurers will take your address into account when they generate your quote. Because of this, it is vital you let them know when you are moving and the address of your new home. If you are moving to an area that is considered slightly more ‘risky’, your insurance is most likely going to increase in price. Alternatively, if you are moving to a better area, your insurance could come down.

Although most insurers take your address into account, some simply need it to keep your contact information up to date. Your details can be changed on your provider’s website or via telephone.


  • Cleaner
  • Gardener
  • Window Cleaner
  • Accountant
  • Solicitor

If you have hired someone to take care of your property, you must give them notice that you will be moving properties. If you no longer require their services, you must give them notice so they can find other employment in the meantime. If you are going to continue using them, they need to know where they will be working from the date you move. If you are moving out of the area and your current cleaner/gardener does not work in this region, do your research in advance so can line up replacements in your new location ready for when you move.

Although you can use other services such as Royal Mail Redirect Service, it is important that you notify your accountant/solicitor that you will be moving to a new address and to forward any further correspondence to that address. Most of the time, the letters from your accountant/solicitor will be private and extremely important, so you don’t want any going missing in the post.


  • Banks or Building Societies

Your bank/building society will use your property address to provide your identity, so it is important that you let them know about your change of address as close to your moving date as possible. This can be done via their website or you can visit them in a branch to talk to one of their specialists.

  • Premium Bonds

If you have invested in any Premium Bonds, don’t forget to update your address to avoid losing out on any potential winnings. If you are registered on their website, you can change your details easily online, otherwise, they can be contacted via telephone.

  • Pension

Do you currently pay into a private pension plan? You can update your information by contacting your provider by telephone or email. If you only pay into a state pension, you will need to contact the Pension Service. Full contact details can be found on the gov.uk website here.

  • Loan Companies

If you have any current loans you have taken out, the supplier will need to be informed of the date you move and the address you are moving to.

  • Credit Card/Debit Card Companies

While contacting your Bank to update your contact details, you may also want to get your address changed for your credit/debit cards. Transactions after your move-in date will require you to input your correct billing address, so it is important that this is correct.

  • Store/Loyalty Cards

Some companies will use the address linked with your store cards to send you exclusive discounts, new deals or potential deliveries. To ensure you don’t miss out, you will need to contact the company of any store that has your details. Most of the time, if you have registered for an account online, this can be updated on the company website.

Related Post

Updates: 2 Mins Read

BREAKING NEWS: £5k Deposit Mortgage For First Time Buyers

Are you a first-time buyer eager to make your mark on the property ladder? We’ve got exciting news for you! A new

Updates: 2 Mins Read

4 Essential Questions to Ask Your Estate Agent for Smart ...

When it comes to buying a new home, it’s essential to have a reliable and knowledgeable estate agent by your side. To

Updates: 4 Mins Read

Your Fixed-Rate Deal is Ending: Valuable Advice from a Mo...

Following a meeting with members of the Monetary Policy Committee, the Bank of England has made the decision to raise interest rates